First game of By Fire and Sword

Last week I finally got an opportunity to play By Fire and Sword, for which I painted an army last autumn. Or I actually didn't do the army for this game initially, but found out on the way that it would probably be my best bet of ever playing with my models. Thus my force is not too well made for the rules, as the basic game type is a skirmish where my pike blocks have no part in. I still had enough cavalry for the Swedish skirmish force so there was no problem, although I had to use some dragoons as stand in reiters.
The game was as good as I thought. It took few rounds to get the grasp, but the basics are quite simple. There just is quite a lot of small details that need some time to get into. The game was quite tight. I was battling against cossacks, with an objective to conquer the small village in the center of the table. Cossacks got there first, as they knew the rules how to enter the buildings :) I tried to push them out, but never got more than two wounds in and the cossack commander succeeded in almost all of the reinforcement rolls, so eventually I lost. It was very close though, the cossacks succeeded in some 3 or less morale rolls on d10, of which one fail would have won me the game.

Terrain of my opponent was very nice.


The Swedes close in the village.

Dragoons take the hut on the right.

Some cossack scouts appear from the flank.


The wagon train shields the flank from my reiters.

Reiters make an U-turn.



Despite the best efforts, the village stays in Cossack hands.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking silence

Four way Erehwon

Reinforcements for the Shadow Elves