30 Years of War in 15 Millimeters of Pewter

I recently started a new project of building armies for 30 Years War with 15mm models. I bought a bunch of Totentanz models in June and after listening an audiobook of Zacharias Topelius's classic books "Välskärin kertomuksia", a story written in 1853-1867 about two Finnish families ranging from the 30 years war to somewhere around 1800? (I haven't listened it to the end yet), I got inspired on painting the models. They were fun change after having painted a lot of 28mm arabs. I painted all 64 in a week in single batch. I undercoated them zenithally with airbrush and added also some browns and blues at the same time. Then I first painted the bright colours, then the muted colours, then the armour and boots, gave a wash of dark brown with some preussian blue mixed in and then finished with the skin and refined some details after which I gave an nice warm burnt umber ink wash to the skin and select parts. Finally I painted the pikes with airbrush by sticking them to a cork pan coaster. As the pikes are made of steel wire, I left the tips unpainted. Finally I used some Vallejo sandy paste for the bases, washed it with Vallejo Dirt and Earth brown airbrush colours, glued a mix of different scatters, put some pigments on the uncovered parts, glued some tufts and geve them a coat of matt varnish. I have to say that I quite like the result and they were surprisingly nice to paint. More of them to come in near future. My plan is to paint a new unit for the army between painting other stuff to keep variance.





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking silence

Reinforcements for the Shadow Elves

Four way Erehwon